I started carving about 1986. My first interests were decoys and then songbirds. Lately I am into shorebirds.
Most of my work is for competition. Most of my birds shown at galleries have previously been used in competition events. I compete at the “Ward World Championships” each year as well as some of the regional shows. Work on “LP Smoothie” type shorebirds is my favorite, but I still do decorative life style projects, and decorative and working decoys.
Current residence for the last 40 years is Cheshire, Connecticut. I’m married with a son in college. Favorite hobbies are fishing, carving and bird watching. I still get together with three of my carving and painting buddies every Monday night. Working together as a group helps you teach as well as learn and expand your knowledge of this hobby.
Some of my bigger competition and most memorable wins include:
- Second place to Del Herbert at Ward World Championships 1998
- Second and third Best in show at New England Wild Life Expo 1995-1999
- Best in Show “Shorebirds” @ California Open in 2000 (I beat Del in his home town)
- Best in Show win @ Wildlife Artisans Show in Rockport, MA 2002
- Best in Show win @ Essex Eagle Expo/Valley Shore Water Fowlers Show 2003.